About Me

My photo
I am a 22 year old girl who is trying to discover herself within the world of arts and fashion, at the moment i am studying graphic design and photography and it finally feels like home. I am a very visual person so i am easily touched by beautiful images and views i see everyday around me. Because i am emotional i experience incredible amount of happiness when i see something nice. I have not decided what am i going to be after i finish university but i know that i am on the right path and moving towards something very exciting. My aim in life is to show people what i can see and on the way im doing everything to achieve different techniques and ways of how to do so and what to show.

Friday 1 April 2011

Wangechi Mutu



During my research i have found this piece of work by Wangechi Mutu and the reason i chose it was because i could relate to it alot when talking about feminism. I think Wangechi has very sucessfully created a female body with all the meaningfully illustrated body parts. I have chosen this image because it isn‘t as scary as her other work with ulcers and tumours. This piece especially shows the feminine strength, the beauty, and that female body can create wondeful things. I love how Mutu illustrated birth with a butterfly and how motorcycle parts underline the feminine power or, as i see it, womens everyday armour.

Wangechi Mutu is and African artist born in Kenya. She uses collage and mixed media in her, usually body themed, work. She uses cutouts from magazines to construct a face or a body and by some of the cutouts she gives a meaning to each body/face part. Mutu is very protective of the traditon and heritage, and in her work she portrays political, fashion and cultural and health issues. The way she makes her work look is quite easy to read so that makes her statements very clear.

Image link.

No comments:

Post a Comment